|PERFORMER||Frank Oz 1969 - 2000 present|
|Eric Jacobson 2001 - present|
|DESIGN||Jim Henson designer|
|Don Sahlin builder|
Bert is one of the main characters on Sesame Street.
He and his best friend Ernie live in an apartment in the basement of 123 Sesame Street. In their comedy duo, Bert is basically the straight man, often being pulled into Ernie's games and being tricked in the end. Even though he's kind, pleasant, and intelligent, Bert can also be grumpy, short-tempered, boring, and easily frustrated. He is usually quiet and self-contained, wanting to be left alone to read or watch his pigeons, but he usually becomes more of a silly character like Ernie when he starts to enjoy Ernie's games, but by this time, Ernie decides to quit and wants to do something else. His favorite food is oatmeal. He is also very fond of both his paper clip and bottlecap collections. Bert's signature song is "Doin' the Pigeon."
In Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Bert decided to give Ernie a soap dish for Christmas so that his Rubber Duckie would stop falling into the bottom of the bathtub. However, as he had no money, he made a trade at Hooper's Store, where he traded his paper clips for a soap dish. At the same time, Ernie decided to give Bert a cigar box to put his paper clips in, and traded his Rubber Duckie in order to get one. However, Hooper could see that neither of them was happy with trading their things, so he gave them their things back on Christmas Eve.
In The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years, Bert and Ernie introduced clips from Sesame Street.
In Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting, Bert and Ernie got a new video camera. Bert initially wanted to use the camera to make some pigeon videos, but Ernie wanted to use it to make some Sesame Street videos (Bert wonders, "Who wants to see Sesame Street on TV? We can look at it outside our window every day!"). However, Bert eventually liked the idea, and directed the footage.
Bert served as director in Elmopalooza.
- Havin' Fun with Ernie & Bert (1972)
- Bert's Blockbusters (1974)
- Bert and Ernie Sing Along (1975)
- At Home with Ernie and Bert (1979)
- & Ernie: Side By Side (1981)
- The Best of Bert (1983)
- Bert and Ernie's Greatest Hits (1996)
- Some of his family members include his twin brother Bart (also voiced by Frank Oz, appeared in an early-70's skit), his nephew Brad (Richard Hunt, appeared in the late-70's) and his unseen but mentioned Aunt Matilda.
- It is unknown how old Bert is, but it can be possible that he is perhaps 19.
- Bert is left-handed. YouTube
- Bert has 368 bottle caps in his collection.
- See also: Ernie and Bert Songs
Bert's signature song is "Doin' the Pigeon". In one song he explains that his favorite number is 6, compared to Ernie's number 8,243,721. He has also sung "Keep the Park Clean for the Pigeons", "I Gotta Be Clean", "La, La, La", "I Wish I Had a Friend to Play with Me", "Oatmeal Box" and other songs.