Bob Payne, also credited as Robert Payne and known as "Bobby," was a college friend of Jim and Jane Henson. Payne first worked with the Muppets as a substitute puppeteer on Sam and Friends in 1958, while Jim Henson was in Europe. He subsequently designed and built several characters on The Muppet Show and other Henson productions, and served as an occasional performer at various times.
Payne received special credit as a historian on The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years.
- Sam and Friends
- Perry Como's Kraft Music Hall: Prancer
- The Muppet Show: "Scarborough Fair" Tumblers (with Kathryn Mullen, episode 511), Frogs (episode 523), others (episodes 314, & 407: Dudley Moore 407)
- Sesame Street: Telly Monster (1979), Mary Rhymie, Zebediah, Judy Finstermacher, Chet
- The Muppet Movie
- John Denver & the Muppets: A Christmas Together
- The Great Muppet Caper
- The Muppets Go to the Movies
- The Dark Crystal: SkekOk (puppeteer)
- Tales of the Tinkerdee: Palace Guard's helmet (later used for Super Grover)
- Sesame Street: built the original Telly Monster
- The Muppet Show: designed and built Mulch, Pinocchio, Punch and Judy Puppets, and others
- The Dark Crystal: Podlings fabrication team